Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mildly Epic Late Night Book Ramblings

Note: The title refers to the post not the book it is about. The book is definitely Epic and not just mildly so.

I am a big fan of urban fantasy books. It's kind of thing. I enjoy all manner of less-than-real creatures in my books. Urban Fantasy tends to cover that for me. It also tends to have some of the most creative story lines I've come across so far. But we'll talk about the genre later.

Right now, I want to chat about a specific, non-Urban Fantasy book. Stephanie Perkins' "Anna and the French Kiss."

I signed up for Twitter to follow authors I like, namely Cassandra Clare. She is very entertaining on Twitter. As I began following people there were a ton of comments about this book called "Anna and the French Kiss."

So, I stored it in the back of my mind and figured I would either one day check it out or totally forget about it. I'd looked it up on Amazon and it didn't really seem to be my thing. It geot a mental post-it in a non-extraordinary shade of lavender. And then one day I was walking through Borders during their closing sale (R.I.P. my favorite store friend) and lo and behold there it was, sitting misplaced on a shelf with the graphic novels.

It seemed like fate.

I purchased this tome without a home and brought it to mine. It sat a little awkwardly among its friends to begin with as I figured it would take me a couple of weeks to get to reading it. Shortly there after I decided it was time. I was going to tackle this book that had been so epically discussed throughout my limited little Twitterverse.

I was a little startled to discover that I was excited to read it. It wasn't on a lavender post-it anymore, it was at least bright green now. But At the same time I was worried about being disappointed.

Oh ho, I should not have been.

I devoured this book. Consumed it in any way I could that did not involve me doing anything to actually damage the book. I loved it. I adored it. I couldn't get enough of it. I read it and then reread it and then reread favorites parts of it that might as well have been me rereading it. I wanted to live this book. I began to ask people why I was never sent to boarding school in Paris. If they knew any boys named Etienne or St. Clair. I was a mess and loving every minute of it.

I quickly told anyone I knew who read that they NEEDED to read this book. No really there's even a comic strip about it. (http://42sfamy.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-suggestion-nerves.html) And I then passed this book off to my dear friend Laura.

Which was a good and bad thing. She would mention a part of it and I would want to read it but I couldn't because she had it. It was taking too long (realistically not that long) and I was suffering 'Anna' withdrawal. I wanted my book. I needed my book. I drove to the library and it was out so I drove to the other library and theirs too was gone. I couldn't even bring myself to be upset...well okay I could but I was still excited because PEOPLE WERE READING IT!

The story does end with me getting my book back and Laura loving it and buying her own copy and the two of us referencing it quite a bit. It finally got integrated into the shelves and has its place of honor with its spine facing outward (with over 1,300 books on seven shelves this really is an honor)

But the whole point of this long rambling post about this Epically wonderful book is that I mailed it to my friend Sam for her birthday and she's reading it now so I want to read it now but I know if I even pick it up from where I can see it on the shelf I will sit for a long time and read. This would be fine if I didn't have to been at work in six hours and wasn't planning on writing a little more of the NaNoWriMo novel. Thus I decided writing a blog post about the book would take less time than actually reading it.

And here we are.
I think I should be done now.

NaNoWriMo Word Count: 11734

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment