Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mildly Epic Writing Challenges

I am a dialogue writer. I like description as well as the next person but I'm not very good at writing it. What of it I do enjoy writing, I do so by writing it through a character's eyes but still in third person. Some times they explain in out loud sometimes they do not. I don't know if that made any sense but there it is.

With my NaNoWriMo novel I've chosen to do a modern Urban Fantasy adaptation of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. My main characters speak to each other but neither see each other nor touch one another for much of the novel.

At the time I didn't realize that this was going to be a challenge. After all, I am a dialogue writer I don't need sight or touch.

Oh ho, I was wrong.

I have written quite a bit and I know exactly what I want them to say and how the conversation is going to progress. When they're snarky with each other, when they'll laugh to soothe the other. Everything like that. But it's been an issue to work out how they're going to react to one another without them seeing the other look away or wince at their own words.

I am now considering that perhaps I am an interaction writer. There is so much more that goes into dialogue than just what they say. I think I realized that before but just not to this extent. I have to admit I love how interconnected everything is.

I think this means that I am growing or something.
Huzzah me!

Word Count: 35946

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment