Sunday, December 11, 2011

Epic Reading List Updated: Alanna The First Adventure

LIST Update as of December 10th:

1. 'The Hunger Games' -Suzanne Collins
2. 'Alanna the First Adventure' -Tamora Pierce

3. 'Anna Dressed in Blood' -Kendare Blake
4. 'In the Hand of the Goddess' -Tamora Pierce
5. 'Graceling' -Kristin Cashore
6. 'The Woman Who Rides Like a Man' -Tamora Pierce
7. 'The Name of the Star' -Maureen Johnson
8. 'Lioness Rampant' -Tamora Pierce
9. 'Tale of Two Cities' -Charles Dickens
10. 'Wild Magic' -Tamora Pierce
11. 'Catching Fire' -Suzanne Collins
12. 'Wolf Speaker' -Tamora Pierce
13. 'Matched' -Ally Condie
14. 'Emperor Mage' -Tamora Pierce
15. 'Divergent' -Veronica Roth
16. 'The Realm of the Gods' -Tamora Pierce


I love Tamora Pierce. Love her. She is beyond epic in so many ways.

As a matter of fact, if you read my Harry Potter post you know that it was a Tamora Pierce book that made me want to write. It wasn't the 'Song of the Lioness' series but it doesn't matter. No matter how much time passes or how many other books I read Tamora Pierce will always hold a special place in my heart.

I sat down and read the entire book after work tonight. It is just as entertaining as it always has been. I would love to have friends like Jonathan, Raoul, and Gary. They are fantastic. I've grown so used to reading books that are longer in length and cover a much shorter amount of time. It took a little adjusting to read a book of barely above 200 pages that covers multiple years.

I still devour it. I still laugh at Raoul and Gary. I cheer on Alanna, chuckle at George's reaction to Alanna's secret. It just doesn't get old.

Each time I read any of her books I am struck by how much Tamora Pierce's writing style has impacted my own. Especially the interesting narrative style where sometimes the narrator is in the character's head and sometimes it isn't. It's not always abundantly clear if the narrator is commenting or the characters are. These are comments I've gotten on my own writing.

I can't wait to read the next one again (I am noticing a trend here). But I still have another book to go first!

Next up: The much hyped 'Anna Dressed in Blood' by Kendare Blake!

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment