Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The 2011 list of True Epicness


                Top Ten Books Read in 2011 (In some vague semi-order)

                1. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

                This probably doesn’t come as much of a shock to anyone but I love this book. Cassandra Clare has really hit her stride. The characters are beautiful and have some of the most intricate relationships of any book I’ve ever read. The balance of heartbreak, humor, and engrossing story telling is expertly handled. Even reading the and knowing that it is impossible for the story to end well for everyone involved it is wonderful to know that no matter what team you’re on the crafting of the story itself will not be a disappointment.




                2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

                I already did a long rambling post about this book but I really can’t express my love for it enough. This has become one of my immediate feel good books. If I have a bad day I curl up with Anna and St. Clair. It’s funny, heartwarming, and as comforting as a big mug of tea. I love this book and the all too real characters.


                3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

                I was a little skeptical going into this. A book about racing horses? I wasn’t sure. This was really rather silly of me. It’s not just a book about racing horses. It’s a Maggie Stiefvater book about racing horses which is a completely different beast altogether.         It’s poetic and beautiful and unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Even the physical book itself is beautiful.


                4. Mastiff by Tamora Pierce
               
                The very long awaited final book is the Provost’s Dog trilogy was well worth the wait. There are twists and betrayals abound in Beka’s most dangerous adventure. It’s an entertaining mix of fantasy, intrigue, and romance. The pace is kept fast and I was kept as much on my toes as Beka. Tamora Pierce has easily mastered the world she’s created.
               

                5. Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

                I can’t believe the series is over. I love these books. The dry wit, the romance, the captivating setting and tenuous balance between the Darwinists and Clankers. Come on how could anyone read this and not want a Perspicacious Loris? Seriously?

                6. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

                I had a really hard time deciding whether I should allow two books by the same author but ultimately I had to. I adore Cricket. He’s wonderful and Lola’s individual strength and undeniable ability to care for people even when the person is herself. You root for them through and through. And really, Cricket Bell. I love him (and not even because we share the habit of writing reminders on our hands).

                7. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

                Another debate but since I allowed Lola I can allow this one too. This renewed my Mortal Instruments love without a doubt. I was amazed that I hadn’t really considered the repercussions of bringing Jace back until I’d read this. The introduction of the Praetor Lupis is a fantastic chance for us to learn even more about the world of the Shadow Hunters. It’s a brilliant start to the second leg of the series.


                8. Red Glove by Holly Black

                This series is another that is unlike anything I’ve ever read. It’s a brilliant idea and the books have only gotten better. Red Glove presents this case that not only shows the depths to which the powers of the workers effect those on which their used but also how the after effects of the first book are nowhere near forgotten. I was pulled right in.


                9. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

                I am way late on this one and I know that. I consumed this book whole. I loved it. The world is totally engrossing and Katniss’ growth and complete obliviousness to what others around her are feeling is believable. It’s hard not to feel for the characters as they struggle to come to terms with the lack of control they have in their own lives.


                10. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

                I bought this book ages before I read it and I’m a little sour with myself for waiting so long. While I have yet to read the others (soon!) I love this book. It’s another idea that is unlike any other fey book I’ve ever read. I really enjoyed the romance but I think the whole idea of the Iron court fascinated me the most. I just want to know more.


Close Calls:
-Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick
-Forever by Maggie Stiefvater
-The Fables Graphic Novels (Yeah, all of them) by Bill Willingham


Top Five Most Anticipated Books of 2012 (Also in some vague semi-order but you’ll notice some corresponding)

1. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
2. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins (Has been moved to 2013 but still keeps its spot because I will anticipate it all through 2012 and I wholeheartedly support Stephanie Perkins in her decision)
3. Black Heart by Holly Black
4. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
5. Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan (Which I can’t find yet and will have to order online but is technically already out.)


Well, there you have it. My lists. 2012 looks just as promising as 2011!

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment