Monday, March 5, 2012

The Epic Reading List - The Not So Epic Awards

So, my last post was an overview of the list as a list. How I structured it and what I learned from doing so, you know, things like that. I didn't include any of my rereads in the general awardage but did pick my favorite reread. So here we go.

Overall New Favorite:

This one was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I was pretty sure that between The Hunger Games and Divergent that it was going to be a struggle. I wasn't.

I love The Hunger Games but Divergent clicked with me just a little bit more. The Hunger Games is beautiful and horrifying. It's a story I love but not really a world I'd want to be in. I want to be in Divergent. I want to be struggling beside Tris and Four. It's well crafted and enticing. I loved watching Tris come into herself.

That being said,

Favorite Hero/ine:
Beatrice 'Tris' Prior from Divergent. Alanna was a close second. What gave Tris the edge here is how aware of her own transformation she is. While Cassia from Matched is also aware that she's changing she doesn't embrace the change itself quite as much as she embrace Ky. Tris wants to change, wants to be fearless and is willing to literally fight for it. But she isn't without obvious faults. She's proud and more than once Four has to convince her to show that she can be hurt. Tris is a real character.

Favorite Crushables:
I had to pick two. I couldn't decide and I feel like my two aren't a surprise.

First, Finnick Odair from Catching Fire. I spent a fairly hefty amount of time raving about Finnick in my reactionary review. Something about him was just instantaneously captivating. He was given so much depth and was so well rounded. I had a bit of a crush on him when he was only a seductive man in a net. I mean, TRIDENT!

Second, Four from Divergent. He is cynical and fierce and amazing. He doesn't coddle Tris but instead tries to help her grow. Four shares himself with Tris but not at the expense of himself. He can forceful and grave and sarcastic, and dry. There's a tenderness in Four but not a gentleness. It's a very delicate balance that Veronica Roth manages expertly.

Favorite Cover:
There's a small part of me that thinks a lot of people use a Favorite Cover thing as a cope out for a book they weren't as fond of. I'm not doing that.

I liked Anna Dressed in Blood. I didn't fawn over it like some posts I read but I enjoyed it. But a cover doesn't always signify everything. For example, I'm not overly fond of Divergent's cover but I love the book.  But this cover is...wow. It's sad, tense, foreboding, and a bit sinister. It is a cover that is perfectly suited for the book. It could have been easy to go too gory or campy for this one. Instead we got an elegant, sorrowful masterpiece.

Favorite Plot Device:
I may have made this up specifically for this book...maybe.
I can't help it. I love that words are the catalyst for Cassia's change. The Dylan Thomas poem (that I decided I needed to memorize after finishing the book) is just perfect. That plot device, the poem, the words, is what stuck most with me after reading the book. It's such a simple thing that we take for granted. Writing. I can't imagine not constructing my own thoughts and ideas. A gorgeous idea that is well executed. Cassia learning to write her own name by way of discovering herself, brilliant.

Biggest Surprise:
This one is not perhaps the most positive choice but if I were to do that it would be another paragraph of me raving about Divergent. So,

I really wanted to love Graceling. I heard so much about it from people who loved it. It even had a blurb by Tamora Pierce. This book screamed Amy and waved it's arms around like a loon. But I just...didn't. It wasn't a bad book and definitely had pieces of it that were brilliant but it just didn't click as well for me. I do plan to eventually read Fire and probably Bitterblue but this was a bit of a let down for me.

That's all for the general awards so the last is...

Favorite Reread:

I was very pleasantly surprised by my read of The Woman Who Rides Like A Man. That is not to say that it was my favorite Tamora Pierce but it changed the most in between reads for me. I was genuinely startled by how much I liked it. It is a very important installment to the series and while I missed some of the other characters I could see why Alanna needed to be alone. It's a fantastic part of The Song of the Lioness.

Tomorrow I will put up the new list! Huzzah!

Until then, lovelies.

-A.M.Y-A


No comments:

Post a Comment