Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Music Monday (on Tuesdayish): "Golden Days" by The Damnwells

So, I started  this post on Monday and then got some exciting news and very cleverly never posted it. I didn't realize until I finished my Cinder post. You get it now, a little late which is better than not getting it at all, I suppose.

Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story. So that's what these posts are going to be about.

Music Monday - April 30th: "Golden Days" by The Damnwells - The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater





This version has The Fray playing too but the original is lovely as well.

"Golden Days" has always struck me as a Sam Roth and Grace Brisbane song. The lyrics are so music involved that I always think of Sam.

"
Am I in tune? Yeah can't hear much but the melody coming from you. Baby please don't rush Keep the tempo slow and you. Let me hear the words you say. Let's go and get tangled in chains of golden days."

It just seems like such a Sam lyric. He sees Grace so musically and the idea of a melody coming from her is perfect. Plus Maggie Stiefvater uses gold in connection to Sam and Grace with the golden wood and I could see Sam turning their time spent there into a chain of golden days.

"Leave the ground behind us I'll be floating round your lips. I am just a host of arms holding one full wish."
("full" is in the album version)

This part makes me think of Shiver Sam. Grace is what stops him from returning to the woods. Instead of anchoring him to the woods like he is in his wolf form she helps him be free. His one full wish is to stay human and he holds on to it so tightly even when he thinks he'll never have it.

"Fall apart confetti come on, cry right on my sleeve. I am just a ghost of hearts that break bittersweet."

I always think of Sam in Forever here. Waiting for Grace to come back. He kind of falls into himself and goes beyond heartbroken. He's sort of a shell, a ghost if you will, of his pain.

This song is perhaps more a Sam song than a Sam and Grace song. But it has a whimsy to is that reminds me of Sam rather than a practicality that would match Grace. Since is describes the relationship of the two described through Sam it gets to be both of them.

Does it seem Sam and Grace like to you Wolves of Mercy Falls fans?

I confirmed the lyrics at Metro Lyrics.
I kidnapped the video from here.
Buy the song. There is an album version floating around and it's wondrous.
I don't own any of it and meant no copyright infringement. I just like music and books, especially together.


I hope you all liked post two of Music Monday! Feel free to share your own songs or do something like it on your own blogs.

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment