Monday, May 14, 2012

Music Monday: "Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt

Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story. So that's what these posts are going to be about.

Music Monday - May 14th: "Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt - Anna and St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins





Okay, so this probably isn't the first song that pops into anyone's head when they think Anna and the French Kiss. To be honest, one specific song doesn't really pop into my head at all, just a general feeling of wistful happiness. Well, one day I was at work and this song came on and something about the lyrics just screamed Anna and St. Clair.

"People are talkin', talkin' about people. I hear them whisper, you won't believe it, they think we're lovers kept under covers. I just ignore it."

This makes me think of all of the comments secondary characters say through out the book about Anna and St. Clair. Matt's comment about hoping St. Clair is better than Toph, the man at the movie theater asking about St. Clair, and Meredith knowing they were in love. Everyone around them can tell and people who don't know exactly what's happening assume they're already together.

"They keep sayin' we laugh just a little too loud. Stand just a little too close. Stare just a little too long."

I think this perfectly describes their behavior with one another. They act so totally into one another whether they realize it or not. And Stephanie Perkins does a good job of highlighting the little things about how they act around one another.

"An I think 'bout you everyday. Dreamin' 'bout you every night. Hopin' that you feel the same way."
This is just so how we see Anna think about St. Clair. His actions are a constant confusion to her and she's always thinking it through and trying to figure out how he feels. (It could work in reverse as well.)

The title and chorus, just makes me think of how willing the two of them are to be together. A string of misunderstandings and arguments are what stop them.

I'm not sure how many people know this song or would make the connection. It's not a perfect match but it makes me think about them. It's probably one of my stranger song links. But it also makes me think of another good Anna and St. Clair song which I would tell you but I may still one day use if I'm feeling particularly lazy that Monday.


I jacked the lyrics from ELyrics
I kidnapped the video from here.
Buy the song. It's such a classic.
I don't own any of it and meant no copyright infringement. I just like music and books, especially together.

How many of you know that song? Does it seem like it fits? Any guesses on the other Anna and St. Clair song? Do you have an Anna and St. Clair song? Will I eventually stop asking questions?

-A.M.Y-A

2 comments:

  1. It was so nice meeting you at the signing today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you too!

    ReplyDelete