Monday, May 28, 2012

Music Monday: "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" by This Providence

My apologies for skipping a week. I'm getting used to the scheduling thing. Let me just tell you, two jobs over Memorial Day/ Summer in general in an outdoor mall, royally bites it.

Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story. So that's what these posts are going to be about.

Music Monday - May 28th: "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" by This Providence - Alanna and Duke Roger from The Song of the Lioness (predominately Alanna the First Adventure and In the Hand of the Goddess) by Tamora Pierce.






 
Initially I was had planned to do another song by This Providence for a different book. As I was thinking about my post at work I started mentally singing this song for some reason. Then it occurred to me just how perfect this fit, not my original idea, but Alanna and Roger.

I had hoped to get away from always doing couples. It's easy and usually what first comes to mind but I'm glad this let me get away from that a little.

"You love the sound of your own voice and the crown of death upon your head. Oh c'mon. You in all your royalty only adds to infamy. You're going to taste my fist."

Roger definitely loves the sound of his own voice. He's clever and he knows he is but he also underestimates Alanna. The crown and royalty lines are just too perfect for his attempt at the throne and all of the people he had to kill to get there. "You're going to taste my fist" is so just gung-ho Alanna.

"You're so good at stretching the truth into a sugar-coated lie. Everyone takes a bite. I have been dining with the enemy. It was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Now it's so clear to me."
Alanna knows that no one else at court suspects Roger. She sees the way that Jon blindly trusts and idolizes his uncle. Of course she cannot act so she waits while she pieces the evidence together. I think the last couple lines here could also suggest the revelation that everyone comes to in In The Hand of the Goddess when Alanna removes their wax figures from the veil and they're no longer blind to Roger's spell.

"I've had enough of your games. If you're not trembling, you better be 'Cause we're gonna be the end of you. I've had enough of your games. I'm gonna show them who you really are. And I can tell you right now, it won't be pretty."

They well and truly hate one another. Alanna did right from the get-go. She never trusted Roger and in the beginning she keeps a wary eye on him but doesn't act. Once the pieces start falling into place they have this interesting little dance where they know they hate each other. I think Alanna's thoughts range right with this verse. She knows Roger doesn't take her seriously but she is determined to make sure everyone else sees Roger for what he really is.

This song has such a ruthless, enthusiasm for destroying the subject that made me think of Alanna's desire to take on Roger. He throws everything he has at her and she still takes him on and then out...twice.

I jacked the lyrics from PLyrics
I kidnapped the video from here.
Definitely check out This Providence. They're pretty awesome. 
I don't own any of it and meant no copyright infringement. I just like music and books, especially together.

Thoughts? Songs? Rants? Dancing?

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment