Monday, May 7, 2012

Music Monday: "Wonderwall" by Oasis


Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story. So that's what these posts are going to be about.

Music Monday - May 7th: "Wonderwall" by Oasis - Clary and Jace from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (Just in time for City of Lost Souls)




Jace and Clary have a very interesting dynamic. It always feels like Jace would have self destructed without Clary. I think "Wonderwall" includes a lot of that kind of dynamic in its lyrics.

"And all the roads we have to walk are winding, And all the lights that lead us there are blinding, There are many things that I would Like to say to you But I don't know how."

Jace and Clary never have a straight path. Their story takes so many turns that even though I was pretty sure (at least in part one) that they would end up together there were times I wondered how two people with so many obstacles could do it. The powers that play with them are so strong and seem so beyond them at first, hence the blinding line. Jace also struggles with confiding in people, especially notable in City of Fallen Angels. He never really knows how to say what he wants to.

"Because maybe You're gonna be the one that saves me And after all You're my wonderwall."

This one is the most obvious to me. They save each other. Both physically and emotionally. I think they're both full of wonder (to be literal) for each other. And though, I've read 'wonderwall' in an imaginary friend that saves you from yourself, I think they do save each other from themselves. Clary more so.

"I don't believe that anybody Feels the way I do about you now."

Another obvious one. With everything that happens there is no way anyone could feel for each other what they do. They love each other and are torn apart by each other. Jace loves her and wants to protect her but can never quite rid himself of Valentine's lessons.  It's a great dynamic.


I confirmed the lyrics at AZ Lyrics
I kidnapped the video from here.
Buy the song, if you don't have it already. I think most people do. The Ryan Adams version is also beautiful. The Cartel one isn't bad either.
I don't own any of it and meant no copyright infringement. I just like music and books, especially together.

What about you loves? Any Jace and Clary songs? How about other couples?

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment