Monday, June 25, 2012

Music Monday 6/25

So, we're back to our typical Music Monday. What did you think of last week's change of Music Monday?

Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story.


Music Monday - June 25th: "The Wind" by The Fray - Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



So, we have The Fray and The Hunger Games again. I feel like this one has obvious connections to Finnick with the ocean imagery. It might also be that Finnick is my favorite character from the series and this was my favorite song from this album. Regardless, here we go.

"Oh, my God, I think I’m lost at sea. These silent waves are my company. And, I lost the line between the sky and sea. I’m wondering will the wind ever come for me. Yeah."

Finnick in the Capitol. The Capitol is land locked so he literally would have lost the sea horizon. He's wondering if he'll ever make it home. I think that feeling would have stayed with him each time he went back to the Capitol for the games. He wondered if he'd ever be able to return to the life that he had.

"I feel the sun coming up, rising from the east. I see the empire falling to her knees. I lost the line between her and me. My troubles are gone if the wind ever comes for me. Yeah."


Mockingjay. Finnick does see the beginning of the empire falling and it is sort of like the sun rising. The her and me line is about Annie. When the Capitol has her he doesn't know if he'll ever see her again, if she's alive anything. The wind line is how I think someone from District Four would think in terms of sailing. The wind being a sort of savior.

"And I don’t know, I don’t know where I am. I will break or I will bend. Will the wind ever come again?"

Later Mockingjay. There's a sort of loss of hope vibe to this verse. This is the fight through the Capitol. He had a taste of the wind with getting Annie back and their wedding. But now he's not sure if he'll make it through. I also definitely think after how damaged everyone comes out of the games that going into a battle would make anyone wonder what state they'll come out in. Will he survive to make it home, anyway?

This whole song has this hopeful turning despairing sort of feel to it that reminded me of Finnick almost immediately upon hearing it. Once again, the ocean imagery certainly doesn't hurt anything.

What about you, ducks? Any Finnick love, out there?

I checked lyrics at AZLyrics.
The video is here.
Finnick and Annie belong to Suzanne Collins, I just obsess over them.
The song belongs to The Fray, who are brilliant and worthy of your time and love.

I am loving Mara Dyer so far and have a post planned for tomorrow. Until then, loves.

-A.M.Y-A


No comments:

Post a Comment