Monday, June 4, 2012

Music Monday: "Beautiful World" by Carolina Liar

Music Monday

It's really no shock to anyone that music is an important part of writing to many authors. Many post playlists for their novels and, as a reader, I enjoy listening to them and trying to figure out how the songs fit. It can be tone or lyrics.

But sometimes a random song strikes me as something that relates to a book. There could be just one lyric that fits with a story or character relationship. But somehow the song always reminds me of the story. So that's what these posts are going to be about.

Music Monday - June 4th: "Beautiful World" by Carolina Liar - Cullen Witter from Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley.








There is just something about the tone of this song that reminds me of Cullen but I'll just get into it.


"Here it comes in the morning. I’m just trying to forget. Keep it real, keep it simple. And somehow just get out of bed. And this city is endless. I’m as cold as it’s stone. Yeah this city is endless And I’m, I’m walking alone."Taken at face value this may not seem overly Cullen-esque but I feel like it fits. He's struggling with Gabriel's disappearance and he goes through some of his days just trying to make it through the required tasks. He can't think too much about what could have happened or what is really happening in his town. Which leads to the city section of the lyrics. Lily is not a city, I know this. I also know it is small but I think that sometimes the utterly smallness of it can feel endless. He wants to get out of Lily and is feeling like that will never happen and he doesn't understand how the city is endlessly and ridiculously caught up with the woodpecker. Cullen is alone in seeing how ridiculous it all is.

"I wanna ask for direction But I don’t dare to disturb. I got a thing with affections. Yeah, that's why I'm walking alone."

This one is a little more simple. Cullen is lost without Gabriel. Gabriel keeps him grounded and honest and helps limit his snark a little. Once Gabriel is gone Cullen doesn't know exactly what to do. There's no one to ask. His parents are destroyed. Lucas knows but is more keen to distract him than direct him. Affections also don't come easily to Cullen. He's not touchy, he deals with things via sarcasm. Cullen doesn't really know how to rely on other people.


"I lie, I pretend ‘til I’m almost certain, It’s a beautiful world."


He is not the sort of character who sees the beauty in things naturally. Lily is confining rather than close-knit. 'Beautiful' may even be a strong word for Cullen. But he does have to lie and pretend that things are okay. He takes this faux-casual stance about the loss of Gabriel but randomly explodes and then has to lie to himself again and pretend it's okay.

There's something about lying to yourself and being lost in this song that makes me think of Cullen. He doesn't know what to do and doesn't think there's anyone to ask so he pretends that things are okay. It's a way to cope and I think the song reflects that.


I jacked the lyrics from ELyrics
I kidnapped the video from here.
Carolina Liar writes wonderfully poignant songs. "Show Me What I'm Looking For" is another good one. Check them out.
I don't own any of it and meant no copyright infringement. I just like music and books, especially together.

Song suggestions? Rants? Cullen songs?

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment