Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Epic Nordic Fairies by Saga Berg

So, I still haven't started Across the Universe. Admittedly I haven't been doing as much reading as I'd like but I'm working on it.

I work at Barnes and Noble. I love it. I know I should be all for the small independent book stores but we don't have so many of those around here. We do have Barnes and Noble. I have nothing against the other but this one hired me. I love talking to people about books and recommending new ones. I love it.

Anyway, not the point. I am moving to Boston next month and have been considering a Nook since I can't take all of my books with me. So I borrowed one. I was thinking the Simple Touch. I like my computer and a full keyboard so I don't really need a fancy one.  But they gave me a tablet.

I can't tell if I like the actual Nook or that because it's a work Nook I get the books I download for free. Regardless, the first things I downloaded were The Nordic Fairies Novellas by Saga Berg. I read about them on one of the blogs I follow ages ago. I can't remember which one, I'm a terrible person.



I love fairies and I love Norse everything, mostly mythology. I had never heard of them before and was so excited! Then I didn't have an e-reader but was still itching to get my hands on them.

Oh, I did. I read both Nordic Fairies and Freja. The third is out but not up on Barnes and Noble yet.

I was not disappointed. Even when I so wanted them to be longer I couldn't bring myself to be disappointed. They were a good length for the pieces of the story they were telling. The episodic feel works well for these novellas. It would have been distracting in a longer piece.

I found the weariness of Svala refreshing oddly enough. It was just weary enough but not completely devoid of hope. The two balanced each other. I definitely got this feeling that Svala was doing what needed to be done to get back to Viggo. I could feel the frustration in the narrative.

I don't know too much about Viggo but I already like him. I'd like more back story on him and I'm hoping we'll get it later. He was charming, even his jealousy. I'm interested in seeing more of him.

I did find myself frustrated by how little detail we were given in places. I wanted to see more of their past lives and more of how they interact with each other. I was less frustrated with the second but it was still there. That is likely due to the novella format and I did get used to it but I still wanted more.

I do hope we get a better sense of these missions they're on and exactly what their situation is. We know the basics but I would love more insight into it. It's a wonderful idea that I would like to see fleshed out a little more.

I liked Freja more than Nordic Fairies. Nordic Fairies was that exposition part. We're tossed into the action but it took a little adjusting. By the time I got to Freja I was all adjusted and engrossed. I think it was a bold move introducing Freja so early. It took until the end of the story about her to really grasp the horrifying implications because we don't really know that much about their situation just yet. That scene where Svala returns and Viggo is sitting on the floor is painful. It didn't even strike me as off that they're so young in that scene.

Overall I give both Nordic Fairies and Freja an: Epic.

I'm dying to see what happens. Saga Berg has done a great job of sucking readers in with so few pages.

I'm also part way through with David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary and I love it so far. So, we'll see where I go. Huzzah the freedom of not having a list!

I have a post started for tomorrow. Which should go up if I don't get distracted or called into work or anything.

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment