Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Weigh In Wednesday 7/11

I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow so you can just have this now.




Weigh in Wednesday is a new meme started over at Epilogue. It presents us with two options about which we, wait for it, weigh in.

This Week: Peeta Vs. Gale

For half a second let's be serious and admit that my favorite Hunger Games guy is Finnick. I think we all know this by now. But Finnick is not an option, sadly.

Between the two, I go with Peeta. There's nothing wrong with Gale as a character. There were definitely times that I felt for him and even liked him. But I knew reading them that Gale would have been perfect for Pre-games Katniss. Once she went into the games he lost her. He could never really understand the damage that that experience had done. I also think that Suzanne Collins sums it up perfectly in the dandelion quote at the end of Mockingjay.

I adore Peeta. He's has this steady, innocent charm that I find appealing. But at the same time he's not totally pure. He gets angry and kills when he has to, even if he's not okay with it. I think he fully understands the Capitol's game long before anyone else (of his age) gets it. He understands Katniss in a way that so few people do. Where Gale, I think sees her almost purely as a survivalist, Peeta sees the warmth in her. They're a perfect damaged pair.

I'm not sure if we were talking general characters or who is better for Katniss but I'm Peeta for both.

And you, ducks?

-A.M.Y-A

6 comments:

  1. Great explanation! I love your line "Once she went into the games he lost her"--I think that's a perfect way to put it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! :D Great way to put it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! My sister is a Gale fan so we've debated it before.

      Delete
  2. I have to agree with SC Langgle - your explamation - and especially that line - almost made me change my mind. So if we're talking about Katniss here, then yes...Peeta would probably be the better choice for her. I still like Gale better as a person, though. He appears stronger and steadier to me than Peeta...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why this can be such a tough call. They're both such wonderful characters who have their own strengths. It's not really black and white at all. I also think I've been heavily influenced by having Katniss as a narrator. I tend to get sucked in that way.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've given a great answer and have made me want to read the quote at the end of Mockingjay. :D

    ReplyDelete