Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday 7/18


 
 
Weigh in Wednesday is a meme started over at Epilogue. It presents us with two options about which we, wait for it, weigh in.

This Week: Adult Fiction vs. YA Fiction

My answer will surprise no one.

Most of what I read is YA Fiction. I've recently started to branch out a little more to other "general fiction" books that I've heard such wonderful things about but even if I liked those books they're never has engrossing to me as YA. I'm 24 and still relate to the main characters from YA books (that might not say much for me...) while the adult fiction main characters make me feel young.

I also find that YA tends to be a little more creative. I don't know if the authors feel like they can get away with more because their target audience is younger but I always find the worlds so much more interesting and well set-up. They can throw the reader into this world and let them fill in the gaps where in adult fiction they feel the need to explain every little thing to you.

I know my comments are generalized and there are exceptions. I might actually do a long full post on this. I have a surprisingly amount to say.

Anyway, I love YA what about you?

-A.M.Y-A

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! And I'd love to read a whole post on this topic :) As I pretty much run and hide whenever I'm forced to read an adult book, I might be a tiny little bit opinionated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like that for a long time. I still drag my feet a little but I'm trying to be better. I used to drag my feet when I had to read any contemporary YA too but I keep reminding myself that I've found some that I love.

      Delete
  2. I agree that YA books can be more creative...there's less genre distinctions in YA, so a book can combine fantasy/sci-fi elements in a more realistic plot, while a book like that would probably be a harder sell in adult fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There's always the little Magical Realism sub-sect but it's sort of tucked away. I feel like YA books are a little braver.

      Delete