Friday, September 7, 2012

My Not-so-Epic Abandoning of 'The Taker'

This is the first time in the history of this blog that  I've abandoned a book and I feel a little like I'm baring my shame for the world to see.

Anyway, I am putting Alma Katsu's The Taker down. Perhaps just for now, perhaps for the rest of time.

It's not that I didn't like The Taker. I was pretty much immediately taken in by Lanore's passion and dedication. Somehow, even Jonathan, in his cad-ish, ways was charming when talked about through Lanore's eyes. I was invested in them early on. The Y-A reader in me was waiting for Jonathan to come to his senses and see that Lanore was who he was always meant to be with! Even as I knew that wasn't going to happen. There was just something about them that had me rooting for them, instead of begging Lanore to come to her senses. I think it was my desire to see Jonathan redeemed, as often happens in YA books.



But the story shifted away from them. I'm not against sex in books but once it turned into a succession of beatings and sex and beatings and sex it lost me. Instead of being interested in Adair's back story I found it a distraction. I noticed myself skipping ahead to parts where Jonathan was mentioned. Those felt like the times that Lanore was most herself.Then I'd go back to where I was and still be trying to force myself through so much in the middle. It was just too long where it didn't need to be.

The frame narrative never sat right with me either and I think it has to do with Luke. I had no interest in him whatsoever. None. I just didn't care. He didn't seem to have much of a personality. Instead of character traits he was given a series of events to try and make us care for him. His parents died and he was stuck in town. He was divorced. But I just didn't care. Beside Lanore and Jonathan he was dull and I don't mean story-wise.

I got about halfway through the book and then read other bits and pieces through and I read the end. I still didn't hate it, I just don't feel the need to finish it right now. It has an interesting take on loving someone versus possessing them but even that wasn't enough to keep me going. At first I thought this might be a sign that modern general fiction wasn't for me, that I should stick to YA, but that's not it. I have read plenty of general fiction that I loved I think it was just this book. This isn't against the quality of the words themselves. Alma Katsu is incredibly talented. She knows how to catch a reader and understands the shades of meaning in words.

But somehow, for me right now it wasn't enough. Maybe later.

So, I'm going to read Jennifer L. Armentrout's Onyx instead.

What about you? It's not YA but have any of you read it? What did you think?

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment