Monday, January 7, 2013

The Almost Epic Hush Hush Graphic Novel

I know I said I was reading The Fault in Our Stars next but I had some errands to run today and since my copy is signed I don't want to wander around the city with it (I'll have to find something else to take to work with me today. Another graphic novel, likely). I realized I had the Hush Hush graphic novel here and I hadn't read it yet. It seemed a good solution.


It's only the first part of the book and stops before any of the really fun stuff happens. And that's fine. That happens. I'm not so worried about that. It sticks really true to the book in terms of adaptation, which is awesome. Beyond that, though, it just didn't really work for me.

Let's start with Nora. I spent more time than I should have trying to figure out what Nora was wearing. Something about nearly all of the outfits they have her in was distinctly un-Nora. It was just so at odds with how I mentally saw the character.

While neither of them had a clothes issue like Nora, both Patch and Vee didn't really fit any mental ideas I had for them either. Vee looks absolutely nothing like I saw her. Patch didn't seem striking enough.

Ordinarily when there are images involved, I try to be open minded about character interpretation but these just rubbed me all wrong.

In the book Patch and Nora have chemistry almost immediately. It's palpable between them. The dialogue and playfulness was there in the graphic novel but the chemistry wasn't. I didn't feel like any would/should happen between the two of them. The panels were so tightened in on individual characters that it was hard to see the two of them together in a couple of places. They just don't seem to fit together as well.

Some of this is the art, it's just not my style. It's not necessarily bad it's just not how I usually like it. Some of it I just don't think translates well if the adaptation is going to be that exact.

Anyway, over all I give the Hush Hush Graphic Novel a rating of: Sort of Epic.

I can't decide if I really want to stick with buying them when they come out. I love the books. Maybe I'll try to library them.

What did you think of the graphic novel?

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment