Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Almost Epic The Future of Us

I read this one because this was this months pick for the reading group at work. I've been interested in picking it up for a while. It has such an awesome premise.

Though the premise is still awesome, I was disappointed with the book as a whole. It's not that it was bad, necessarily, more that it was just bland. It was a quick easy read but it felt like it was trying too hard.
I didn't really like Emma. At all. She was selfish and a little whiny. I really wanted to like her. When I break her down there's nothing with the pieces. She has family issues. She has hobbies. She has her own relationship issues, probably stemming from her family issues. That's all great but what I think the issue is that nothing was really looked at in depth. She could have been a great character but she came off sort of shallow. It was hard to believe that she cared about anything. She had no career in mind until she saw she was a marine biologist. She crossed her first choice (?) school off of the list so she wouldn't meet a guy. She plays sax but we don't see why if she even likes that or why. I wanted more from her.

Josh was better, not totally, but definitely better. I found myself looking forward to his sections. He seemed genuinely conflicted by things that were happening. Though, I really would have liked more about his art. But he thought about things and about how it effected other people. I loved that he was the more emotionally invested of the two. I was totally rooting for him. He was likeable.

I laughed at some of the 90's references. This book not only made me feel really old but reading it definitely makes me think that it was written for people who are older than perhaps the typical YA demographic. I think this mostly because we asked a 16 year old at work they had never heard of dial-up (ouch). The draw back to all of these references was that they stood up too much. There was too much of an emphasis on them, especially in Emma's parts. She could have just strapped her discman on I didn't need to know that it was with velcro. Some of the direct references halted things a little.

I think where this book excelled was definitely in the interactions between Josh, Emma, Tyson, and Kellan. Tyson made me laugh a couple of times I really liked how he and Kellan interacted. And Josh and Emma had these moments that were so natural and so wonderful sometimes but as soon as they weren't together anymore it started to fall about for me. There's something really impressive about how the characters saw each other that made their scenes work so well.

I wanted to see more of their Facebook profiles. I know they didn't really know how to use it but why didn't they look at more of the pictures? If you're so cavalier about changing things, like Emma, why wouldn't you have really checked things out? I feel like the whole idea wasn't explored as much as it could have been. Which is a shame because it's such an awesome idea.

I felt like all around this book should have been more. More in depth and more emotional. I just wanted more from it.

Overall I give The Future of Us a rating of: Sort-of Epic.

I really wanted to love this one.

Next I finally picked up my copy of Nick Lake's In Darkness from the library (since it's a bit difficult to get a hold of). I'm looking forward to reading it since I absolutely loved last year's Printz winner so much (Where Things Come Back, my love for you is so very well known).

This whole being snowed in thing is working for me.

Until later, my ducks.

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment