Thursday, February 7, 2013

Top Ten...Not Tuesday: Bookish Memories

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started over at The Broke and the Bookish where they give us a topic and we give our top ten.

This week it was ten bookish memories...in no particular order

1.The release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
I went in costume and was so excited bordering on panic. I couldn't believe it was ending. Mum and I had gone early that day to get wrist bands and the entire shopping center celebrated with themed snacks and a scavenger hunt. I remember reading the flap copy and the dedication and bursting into tears in the magazine aisle.

2. The release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This is the first midnight release I went to. It was just my mum and me. It was amazing.

3. Meeting J.K. Rowling.
I don't think I need to explain.

4. Meeting Maggie Stiefvater
She's amazing.

5. Meeting Stephanie Meyer
This was my first big author event. It was so much fun. Some friends and I took a bus to Chicago (a tornado hit the city while we were there). She was so nice and sweet and took the moment to talk to everyone. Plus, Justin Furstenfeld was awesome.

6. Meeting Holly Black
This one was a long time coming. I picked up Tithe my sophomore year of high school and loved it. And she was so so wonderful when I met her. She's funny and sweet and talked to me about writing! It was amazing.

7. Lord of the Rings with my Dad
Totally counts. I've seen all but the first of the Tolkien movies with my dad. It's something he really loves and is really knowledgeable about but he would never just go. He gets so excited to talk about them afterward. When I was home for Christmas we went and saw The Hobbit and then went home and watched The Fellowship of the Ring. 


8. The first time someone listened to one of my recommendations.
I get so excited about people buying books. Especially if it's a book that I've read. They bring them up to the register and I have to say something. I remember the first time I did that at Barnes and Noble. The person had Divergent and I was so excited that she turned around the grabbed Insurgent too and brought that up. She said she could tell that I loved it.

9. The first time I read Harry Potter
There's something about Harry Potter. It's made this list so many times and I could have put it on more. I just get this indescribable feeling every time I start one. Its become such a big part of me. But the first time I read it I laid on the couch after school and read it straight through. I was in eighth grade.

10. The first time I read Tamora Pierce
I was always drawn to the Circle of Magic covers. And I remember picking up Tris' book over and over and over at our school library. I wanted to read it so badly but we didn't have Sandry's book. Eventually I gave in and read it anyway. And I fell immediately in love. I read it and knew that writing was what I wanted to do.

And there you have it, my Top Ten Bookish Memories....late....

I will try, I promise, to get my life in order again. But right now I have a stick figure to draw!

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment