Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wonderfully Epic Love-type Quotes

Okay, so I really dislike Valentine's Day. If I hadn't already two years in the chocolate business would have cured me of any affection I had for it.

Despite my dislike for this supposed holiday I do have a lot of love for swooning over literary characters. A lot of love. So I decided to make a list of some of my favorite quotes or moments.

The list got really really long really really quickly so I had to limit it to specific quotes. It helps that some of my favorites are in Cleveland so I don't have the books to look up the exact quotes.

Anyway, here are some of my favorites. Some of them are just obviously amazing. Some of them might not be immediately epic-seeming but sum up the relationship of the two characters so well. Others...I may have just really wanted a couple on here and couldn't do moments so I picked a quote.

Some of these have been saved in a word document forever.

It's my blog I can do what I want.

And here we go! In no particular order.

"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then." (City of Glass, Cassandra Clare)


"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.” (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling)



" I say, "I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick."
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, "It's late for that, Puck."" (The Scorpio Races, Maggie Stiefvater)



"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago." (Persuasion, Jane Austen)


"I knew when I met you that you were the one for me.... I knew it when I disliked you, when I didn't trust you, when I feared your power and your inability to control it. I knew it when you learned Ciaran MacEwan was your father. I knew when you were in love with my bastard half-brother Cal. I've always known it: you are the one for me."...."You came here to break up with me forever....I won't stop you, if that's what you want. I want you to be happy. But if there's any way you think you can be happy with me, as opposed to without me, then I am asking you to try."...."Look the one constant in our lives is our love....it seems like we're squandering our most precious gift-having a soul mate. If we let that slip away, nothing else will make sense." (Sweep: Night's Child, Cate Tiernan) This one is heavily edited. The whole scene is way long.


"If I go to the Peaceful Realms tomorrow, or the day after I want to go with the taste of you on my lips." (Trickster's Queen, Tamora Pierce)



"I've tried," Marco says, cupping her face in his hands. "I have tried to let you go and I cannot. I cannot stop thinking about you. I cannot stop dreaming about you. Do you not feel the same for me?"
"I do," Celia says. "I have you here, all around me. I sit in the Ice Garden to get a hint of this, this way that you make me feel. I felt it even before I knew who you were, and every time I think it could not possibly get any stronger, it does." (The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern)



"And as for our betrothal, you may cry off if you insist, but I wish you won't. I like the idea of marrying you."
I came to a halt in the street. "Oh, do you?" I asked.
"Yes, I do. I think we shall deal extremely." (Sorcery and Cecelia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot, Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer)



"Anna?"
Our foreheads touch "Yes?"

"Will you please tell me you love me? I'm dying here." (Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins)


"I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me we don't belong together." (Shadow and Bone, Leigh Bardugo)


'I have never done you injustice. Please remember me,' said Dorothea, repressing a rising sob.
'Why should you say that?' said Will, with irritation. 'As if I were not in danger of forgetting everything else.' (Middlemarch, George Eliot) There has been some debate on whether this is actually a romantic quote or not. I think it is. 


"She might have to put up with me for a long time, you know?"
"How long?"
His smile was amazingly sweet. "The longest."

"Forever?"
Sam's lips smiled, but above his grin, his yellow eyes turned sad, as if he knew it was a lie. "Longer." (Shiver, Maggier Stiefvater)



"She is so beautiful. You don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices, I hope she likes hers." (The Fault in Our Stars, John Green)



"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen)


"I just--want you. I want you so bad, all the time. I know I shouldn't, I know I can't, I know it's wrong...but even when you're pissing me off, when you're reminding me of pain and despair and torture--it's there, the wanting. I am tired of fighting it. I fight so many things, all the time, every day. I don't want to fight this. Not anymore." (Immortal Beloved, Cate Tiernan)


And there you have it! Some of them are deep and emotional (who cried while typing up the T.F.i.O.S. one? This girl) and others are wonderful and just a little bit silly because those couples are like that. They are all fitting for the relationship.

Some were probably expected but come on! I mean Rowling can boil a lifetime's worth of actions into one word. And Jane Austen is...Jane Austen.

There are some of my favorites. I was going to toss a few TV show honorable mentions in there (Epic LoVe anyone?) but this took long enough since I kept getting distracted to read....whoops.

Do you ducks have any favorite quotes? Want to debate one of these? (That Middlemarch one is always a bit controversial.) I want to hear it!

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment