Friday, April 26, 2013

The Adorably Epic Beezus and Ramona

This is going to be a short post because I feel like Beezus and Ramona is one of those books that everyone remembers from childhood and everyone has experiences with. So, it's not going to be dissected in any real manner.

It's been years since I last read Beezus and Ramona. I remember loving the book and the characters but, with so many new books coming it, it wasn't one that I thought to reread often.

Then I started working solely in the childrens' section and I noticed the newer covers and realized that Ramona bears an uncanny resemblance to myself at that age. Then I flipped through it a couple of times and found myself laughing from reading random bits. I decided that I needed to read it again.


The Tracy Dockray illustrations.
This is actually from Henry Huggins and the Clubhouse

First, I was Ramona. Almost eerily so. I had the same haircut too. And I stood just like the picture above. I was also the family Queen of pouting. Not to mention all of her antics were things that I have done/would have done/considered. Plus, one of my sisters was a total Beezus. While reading the book I was taken on a fantastic nostalgia trip without losing track of what the story was doing.

I love the pure child-logic of Ramona. She does such ridiculous things and when she's asked why she reasons back with the same base logic that children are known for. She's hard to argue with but at the same time is doing something she most certainly shouldn't be.

This book doesn't necessarily have the most in depth story because it's so fully a character novel. It's so much about the antics of Ramona and how they impact Beezus. It's about having a sister at that age. The series overall is about growing up. It's the trials and events in the life of a young family. And Beverly Clearly nails it.

There's something about this series that's so universal in the way that growing up is handled. I saw some interview (I can't remember where, I will look) where someone said that every generation feels like these books were written for them. That's so true! I don't think anyone realizes that Beezus and Ramona was published in 1955. But Cleary writes with such brilliant accuracy about being young. She nails all of these little details and ideas and nuances about that stage of our lives.

Overall, I give Beezus and Ramona a rating of: Massively Epic

I feel like even people without siblings will relate to Ramona and her antics. I love it.

Have you read Beezus and Ramona? At least heard of it? Please tell me you've at least heard of it.

Anyway, next up I will finally be reading Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's inevitably wonderful Beautiful Redemption. I am excited to finally see how it ends.

Until next time, my ducks,

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment