Monday, May 13, 2013

The Epic Attachments

We have Rainbow Rowell's Attachments on a remainder table at work. The premise sounded interesting and everyone is buzzing about Rowell because of Eleanor and Park (which I have but haven't read yet) so I picked it up from the library.

I'm not going to go super in depth with this. Mostly because it is late and I have to leave for work in four and a half hours.

My overall sense of Attachments was just...eh. I just didn't feel much of anything for it. I didn't hate it, I mean I finished it, but I didn't love it either. I never really looked forward to reading it but I knew that I would finish it. Just, eh.

Rowell does a fantastic job of making the characters life-like. Lincoln was completely believable. I feel like I had met guys much like him. He was so much an every-man. I was impressed by this while simultaneously being turned off by it. I have no issues with every-day type people, I'm pretty much one myself. But there was something about him that just sort drove me crazy. I liked that he was still working himself out, who isn't? I just felt absolutely no attraction to him, none and that doesn't really work for a love story.

Beth and Jennifer made me laugh. Their e-mails are the best thing about this book. Easily. They managed to be fully fleshed out characters before they were ever seen in person. I'm impressed. They're funny and genuine and real. They have these ridiculous rants and wonderful interactions. I legitimately enjoyed their conversations. Unfortunately my apathy for Lincoln sort of ended up over shadowing it.

It's hard to write about a book that I feel so little for. I think Chris is an ass, and his excuse was a total joke, but I could see that happening. Doris was sort of delightful while also being just short of too ridiculous.

I think there was something about this book that tried to be every-person charming. It didn't really come off as charming. I was not charmed by the relationship or Lincoln's problems. I just didn't feel anything.

I imagine it's not easy to write a love story where the players don't actually interact. I'm interested to test the perimeters of that. I don't know how it could be done better, the whole relationship mostly takes place in the characters' heads, but this attempt just didn't work for me.

So, overall I give Rowell's Attachments a rating of Sort-of Epic.

Beth and Jennifer's e-mails saved the book.

Have you ducks read it? I'll still pick up Eleanor and Park but I'll go into it skeptically.

Next I'm picking up Jane Yolen's graphic novel The Last Dragon. It's illustrated by the wonderfully talented Rebecca Guay, so I'm excited to read it.

Until then!

-A.M.Y-A


No comments:

Post a Comment