Monday, July 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started over at The Broke and the Bookish where they give us a topic and we give our top ten.


This week: Ten authors who deserve more recognition

I took this as authors who aren't as widely known as some. Some of them might be well known in the literary world but not in the world at large.

1. Holly Black
Arguably she has plenty of attention. However, I think she is far better than a lot of the other authors who have garnered more attention. She has this amazing ability to capture this dark, cynical, teenage darkness that’s just brilliant.

2. Maggie Stiefvater
Nobody writes a story like Maggie Stiefvater. Nobody. She writes these complex, mythological plots. I love recommending her to people because she should get way more attention.

3. Cate Tiernan
The Sweep and Balefire series are such brilliant studies of being a teenager and of magical stories. They’ve stuck with me for so long and I wish more people would read them.

4. Tamora Pierce
Okay, so perhaps this is the most controversial pick on my list but come on! She influences so many people are seem to be bigger than her. It makes me so sad.

5. Scott Westerfeld
I just recently heard that they’re meeting for the chance of an Uglies movie. I love the Uglies but he has so many other brilliant, wonderful series.

6. Sarah Rees Brennan
She is so funny and so awesome and no nearly enough people know who she is.

7. Stephanie Perkins
She writes the ultimate feel good books. I love giving them to people at work.

8. John Corey Whaley
He only has the one book (but Noggin, guys! Noggin!) but it’s full of so much heart and soul. I give it to people who like John Green and they usually really like it. And he won all sorts of awards but people still aren’t aware enough.

9. Maureen Johnson
As big as she is in the literary and internet worlds there are still so many people who don’t know who she is. She’s brilliant and wonderful and clever.

10. Michelle Hodkin
I have the hardest time describing Mara Dyer to people.  But I love it so, so much. It’s not like anything else I’ve ever read. It’s just so brilliant and I think more people need to pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Mara Dyer series, I need the next book now! And I agree, reading Stephanie Perkins just makes me smile! Great list! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favorite authors! I love her writing style. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete