Monday, July 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie Adaptations

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started over at The Broke and the Bookish where they give us a topic and we give our top ten.

This week: Ten best/worst movie adaptations. I chose to split my list half and half.

Best:
1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe  (2005)
I really loved this adaptation. There are few movies that really capture the spirit and feeling of a book but this one did it. And the feeling doesn’t diminish no matter how many times I watch it.

2. The Hunger Games
I think they did a really fantastic job of capturing what Suzanne Collins did with the book. I know a lot of people would have liked more insight into Katniss’ head but I think a voiceover would have ruined the movie.

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
I think this one was the most faithful of the adaptations. I really truly loved the feeling and magic of the first movie.

4. The Lord of the Rings
So, sure, they changed some things and I’m still not sure why. And, sure, there were some things that I wish that they had left in but you can’t deny that these movies are beautiful. They did such a brilliant job.

5. Pride and Prejudice
Not going to lie, I love both the 2005 and the 1995 adaptations. I think they both capture different aspects of the book. And they’re both wonderful. Especially since we don’t always have time to watch the Colin Firth version.

Worst:
1. The Queen of the Damned
I can’t lie. I sort of love this movie. It’s terrible in the best way possible. But it is most definitely not the book. Not even a little. It tried to combine Queen of the Damned and The Vampire Lestat and it..it’s just not either.

2. The Golden Compass
I had such high hopes for this movie. The cast was good the effects were good…the movie was just not good.

3. Mansfield Park
Hokay, I do like the movie. It’s enjoyable. But, since Fanny isn’t necessarily the most loved of Austen’s heroines they decided to combine it with pieces of Austen’s life. But it’s not really Mansfield Park.

4. Howl’s Moving Castle
I LOVE this movie. Really love it. But it took this wonderful fairy tale of a book and turned it into a commentary on war. It’s still a brilliant and wonderful story but it’s not at all the same thing.

5. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
This is a fun movie. Martin Freeman is awesome. It has a very similar sort of camp and humor but it’s definitely not the book. It doesn’t quite have the same wit.

And there you have my list! Did you have any of the same? Any you greatly disagree with?

-A.M.Y-A

3 comments:

  1. The Harry Potter movies made my list this week. I really enjoyed them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe was also on my list this week. It is such a good movie and an even better book! Check out my TTT post @ http://bookblogzilla.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete