Friday, September 27, 2013

The Brutally Epic Alex

 One of my coworkers handed me Pierre Lemaitre's Alex after commenting that I probably didn't like dark things because I read YA. First, I stifled a laugh, then I told her that I was interested in reading it. Which means that I was determined to read it and determined to read it soon.

After handing it to me, my coworker described it as "brutal" repeatedly. She was right. Alex is easily one of the most twisted books I've ever read.

Even having finished the book I'm not entirely sure I know what happened.

I don't read a lot of mystery. Only every once in a while. But there seems to be a general formula and this one follows it, to an extent and then very rapidly twists it around until it breaks into little pieces.

Alex opens with a girl, thinking a guy is following her. She likes to wear wigs and change her appearance so when she is abducted her description doesn't really match anyone.

She is locked in a crate that's too small for her, naked and given dog food every so often. Then rats are set on her.

And then the book gets really messed up.


The detective assigned to her case is Camille Verhoeven, a detective working his first real case since his wife was kidnapped and murdered. He's bitter and angry and clever but always certain that he's right, even when he's not.

But Alex ends up being the interesting character.

I don't even want to say anything about it because I don't want to spoil anything.

This is sort of turning into a non-post. But if you don't mind some honestly brutal, graphic ideas this is an excellent book. As I said, I don't read a lot of mysteries so I am less familiar with the tropes of it so I was really impressed with this book. It really pulled me in. All the way until the ending that left me unsettled.

I will say this, the descriptions are a bit repetitive. He repeats some things too many times.

Overall, I give Alex a rating of Massively Epic.

It's definitely not a YA book but it's got a really crazily twisted plot. If you can handle violence this is an awesome one to pick up for that reason alone.

So, I read Fall of Arthur but I didn't retain any of it. I don't think I'm in the mindset for an epic poem (especially since I'm still half in Untold). So, I'm not going to rate it. I don't even know what I'd say about it. I will read it again later.

Until next time!

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment