Thursday, September 26, 2013

The So Amazingly Beyond Epic Untold

Oh dear God. Sarah Rees Brennan please write and keep writing forever.

Also, spoilers abound!

So, I knew Untold was coming out on Tuesday (duh). I special ordered it at work hoping that it would come in early. Alas, it did not. I had Tuesday off of work but left a note for my coworkers asking them to call/text me when it came in so that I could come in and get it.

They did not call/text. The book did not come in.

Around five I gave up and bought the e-book for my Kobo. I could not wait. Just couldn't do it. I devoured as much of it as I could before I had to leave for a coworkers going away party. And I mean devoured.

Then I spent much of the party staring into space and wishing I was finishing the book (not that I'm not going to miss my coworker. Jodi come back)! But I just couldn't stop thinking about it! I just wanted to be reading. I was still stuck in Sorry-in-the-Vale.

After the party I finished it and eventually went to sleep (it was late and I had to get up which is why this post is late). I woke up at 6 AM and was still thinking about it so I laid in bed and reread parts of it for the next hour and a half.  Then I went into work and bought the hardcopy.

This book, this series is so brilliant. It just burrows down into you and you can't help but hurt like Kami and agonize over what's happening. You're frustrated with Jared along with Kami. This is the kind of book that leaves a hole when you're done. I'm not even sure what to do now that I'm done. I just want to walk around with it so that I can reread it whenever I want. I want to buy a thousand more copies and just give them to people.

Kami is as funny and wonderful as she is in Unspoken. She is so torn about what to do. She's hurt and doesn't quite know how to exist without her link to Jared. For a little while she's floating, sort of trying to blaze a trail the only way she knows how. At the same time she's trying to hold herself together she is trying to find Jared in her head. We watch her fall apart without him but in the best sort of way because she doesn't do it obviously. Everyone else can see how hurt she is and how out of sorts but she still functions, she's just in pieces.

And Jared. Jared is heartrending. He still doesn't understand how anyone can love him. He thinks that Kami broke the link to get away from him. He feels needy and damaged beyond repair. I love him desperately. He does what he can without overstepping what he knows Kami wants. He knows her in a way that no one else does and that is the only comfort that he knows. I love when he pleads with Kami not to bond with Ash.

Jared and Kami's relationship is one of my favorites ever. It's beautiful and devastating but it's never 100% absolute. And I love the uncertainty in it. That they're unsure of themselves around one another. It's just brilliant.

Ash. In this book Ash drove me crazy. Ash was the wounded bunny character this round. I just wanted to tell him to snap out of it. I mean, his woundedness is understandable but I've never had much patience with the wounded bunny characters. And I adore the way Kami reacts to him after they're bonded.


And I adore Rusty. Majorly adore Rusty. Angela is six levels of wonderful too. Both of their relationships with Kami and lovely.

We really get to see the flip side of Kami's family in this. They're broken, like the link. They're smashed to little pieces and Kami doesn't know what to do about it. What she can do about it. She just has to try and keep everyone safe, try and make her father understand. And, of course, Ten gets dragged into things. And her mother is panicking.

The fight is devastating. They have no idea what they're stepping into and it ends with everyone more broken than they were. Lillian kills all of her sorcerer's. Ash and Kami are linked and Kami hates it and is afraid that Jared will be angry. They're all shredded.

This whole book just came together so so fantastically. I can't even love it enough. I just...the next one? Please?! I couldn't even make it through this post without rereading pieces of it. It's left me desperate and aching all over.

Overall, Untold gets a resounding Beyond Epic. It's right up there with Dream Thieves and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. The kind of books that leave you despairing afterward.

I don't even know what to write any more because I just want to reread it now instead...

I am working on all of the posts that I owe. Expect another tomorrow because I am going to discipline myself for once.

Anyway, now I'm reading Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur. I love me some King Arthur.

Until tomorrow.

-A.M.Y-A

No comments:

Post a Comment